August 06, 2015
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make this Circus Cake.
HINTS & TIPS
- To make your own Modelling paste, add some tylo powder to your fondant. Modelling paste should always be rolled to 2mm thickness.
- Once you have cut out your shapes/text from Modelling paste place them to one side to firm up. You will find the shapes/text easier to handle.
Equipment you will need
- FMM Multi - Ribbon Tool
- FMM Chunky Funky tappit
- FMM Geometric cutter set (2 Small Circles)
- FMM Large Star (Star Set of 4)
- FMM Small Star Set of 2 (used for models if making your own)
- FMM Essential Shapes
- FMM Patchwork Set (Diamond Shape)
- FMM Knife & Scriber Tool
- FMM Dab-a-Dust
- Modelling Paste colours, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, White and Pink.
- Triangle template made from card for roof of the tent. Size dependent on the size of the top tier of your cake.
- 3 Tier cake stacked and covered in white fondant. Top tier of cake to be carved in shape of circus tent and covered in white fondant, then placed on top of the top tier.
- Cake board to be covered in blue fondant.
- None stick board and rolling pin.
- Water (or edible glue if preferred)
- 5 White lolly sticks.
- White Cotton.
- Animals - Can be made from Modelling paste or use pre-bought Small Toys.
Circus Cake step-by-step guide
- Roll red modelling paste and cut out diamond shapes using the diamond from your FMM Patchwork Cutter set. Cut out the largest triangle using your FMM Essential Shapes set. Starting in the centre of your cake attach your first diamond with a little water to the bottom tier of your cake as shown in picture. Attach a triangle at the top and bottom of the diamond with some water. Continue this around the bottom tier of your cake. Working each side of the diamonds you are attaching.
- Roll out yellow Modelling paste and cut out small yellow circles using your FMM Essential Shapes Tappit. Attach them with some water over each point of your red diamonds.
- Roll out yellow Modelling paste and cut out a star using the FMM Large Star cutter. Attach to the centre of the middle tier with water.
- Roll out red Modelling paste and cut out a number 1 using your FMM Chunky Funky Tappit.
- Roll out red, yellow, pink, green and blue Modelling paste and cut out some circles using your FMM Essential Shapes Tappit. Attach them to the middle tier of your cake with water as shown in picture.
- Roll out red Modelling paste and using your triangle template cut out 5 Red Triangles. Attach the first one at the front of the roof of your tent with water. You can then attach the other triangles each side leaving white sections in between.
- Roll out blue Modelling paste and cut out a rectangle shape. Then using your FMM Knife and Scriber tool cut off the top 2 corners of the rectangle.
- Roll out red Modelling paste and cut out stripes for the top tier of your cake and attach them each side of the blue shape you have attached to the cake. Remember to leave equal size white stripes in between.
- Roll out red and white Modelling paste and using your FMM Knife and Scriber tool cut out thin strips of paste to make the curtain shape at the front of the tent and secure them to your cake with water as shown in picture.
- Roll out yellow Modelling paste and cut out 2 yellow circles and attach them to the curtains.
- Roll out blue and yellow Modelling paste and cut out blue circles and yellow circles using the 2 small circles in the FMM Geometric Set. The blue ones are larger than the yellow. Cut all your circles in half using your FMM Knife and Scriber tool to make semi-circles. Attach the yellow semi-circles to the blue semi-circles with water. Then attach them to the rim of the roof of your circus tent as shown in picture.
- Make a ball of yellow Modelling paste to place on top of your circus tent roof.
- Push a lolly stick through the roof of your tent then 1 each side at the base of your tent. The last 2 lolly sticks are placed into the cake at the base of the second tier down. Tie cotton around each lolly stick to attach the bunting. Make sure cotton is secure. Roll balls of yellow Modelling paste to place on top of each lolly stick.
- Roll out green, red, yellow, blue and pink Modelling paste and cut out triangles using your FMM Essential Shapes Tappit. Each section of the bunting requires 2 triangles. Wet each triangle and then carefully hold 1 triangle on 1 side of the cotton then attach the same colour triangle on the other side of the cotton. Hold for a moment with your fingers until the bunting stays in place securely. Repeat this process for all the bunting.
- Roll out white Modelling paste and cut out your inscription for the cake board using the FMM Chunky Funky Tappits an attach with water.
- Finally place your animals on your cake.