Gingerbread People/Merry Christmas
Gingerbread People/Merry Christmas
November 20, 2017
Equipment You Will Need
- FMM Gingerbread People Set
- FMM Merry Christmas
- FMM More Than A Bird House
- FMM Cool Christmas Tappit
- FMM Dab-A-Dust (If Required)
- FMM Straight Frill 5-8
- FMM Essential Shapes
- FMM Knife And Scriber Tool
- Non Stick Mat & Non Stick Rolling Pin
- Ginger, Red, Green, & White Modelling Paste
- Water & Paintbrush (Edible Glue If You Prefer)
- Friller Tool (Small And Large To Make A Mouth)
- 2 Tier 6” X 5” And 8” X 5” Cake & 12” Cake Board Covered In White Fondant Edged With Red Ribbon
- Dible Black Sugar Balls
- Rainbow Dust Edible Black Pen
- Royal Icing
Hints & Tips
- Always read the project sheet in full before starting your cake!
- To make your own modelling paste, add a little tylo to your fondant.
- Allow the modelling paste shapes to sit and firm up for a short time before attaching to your cake.
- If your modelling paste is sticking to your tools or mat use your FMM Dab-a-Dust for dusting with cornflour or icing sugar.
To Make The Birdhouse
- Roll out ginger modelling paste. Using the More than a Bird House Cutter, cut out two of panels 1, 2 and 4. Dry for at least 48 hours. Roll out a strip of white modelling paste. Using the FMM Knife and Scriber tool cut a straight edge down one side. Cut out a straight edge using the flower design straight edge frill cutter. Roll out red modelling paste and cut out a large rectangle using the FMM Essential Shapes and a large red bow from the FMM Gingerbread People set. Roll out white and green modelling paste and cut out a large circle in white then a green circle using the next size down. Cut 2 thin strips of modelling paste in white and 1 small green bow from the gingerbread person set. Once dry assemble the gingerbread house as per instructions on the pack and attach the decorations.
To Make The Large Gingerbread Person
- Roll out ginger modelling paste. Cut out 2 large gingerbread people. Make a face by attaching black sugar balls for eyes and using the large frilling tool to emboss a smile. Roll out green modelling paste and cut 3 bows. Roll out red modelling paste and cut a waistcoat and dress using the large decorating strip. Attach the waistcoat, 1 bow and 2 sugar balls to one. Add the dress, a bow to the waist, one to the top of the head to the other. Use water at attach.
To Make The Small Gingerbread Person
- Roll out ginger modelling paste. Cut out 1 small gingerbread person. Make a smile by using the small frilling tool. Roll out red modelling paste and cut out 1 small bow. Attach the red bow to the neck and attach 2 black sugar balls in a line downwards below the bow. Note add the eyes once they are completely dry.
To Make The Merry Christmas/Snowflakes
- Roll out red modelling paste, using the FMM Merry Christmas Cutter cut out the Merry Christmas Inscription. Roll out white modelling paste, using the FMM Cool Christmas tappit cut out 5 snowflakes.
To Make The Candy Canes
- Make a sausage of white modelling paste and one of red. Twist the sausages together to make a red and white stripe sausage. Cut them to size and shape them like candy canes. Make 7 candy canes. Note the candy canes on the gingerbread house and the ones in the centre of the bottom tier are slightly thinner. Roll out green modelling paste and cut out 4 small and 3 large green bows. The small green bows are for the slightly thinner canes. Attach the bows to the canes with water.
To Make The Christmas Trees
- Roll out green modelling paste. Cut out 3 Christmas trees using the FMM Christmas Tree Cutter. Cut off the small stump at the bottom of each tree. Allow 2 of them to dry completely for 24 hours.
Assembling The Cake
- Secure the gingerbread house to the top of the cake with royal icing. Attach the candy canes each side of the door.
- Secure the ‘Merry Christmas’ inscription to the front of the top tier cake with water. Using water attach 1 of the Christmas trees below the letter ‘A’ and one of the larger candy canes below the letter ‘H’.
- Attach the large gingerbread people to the front of the bottom tier using water. Attach 2 small candy canes in the centre and 2 larger candy canes each side using water. Refer to photo.
- Using the black edible pen, draw 2 eyes on the dry small gingerbread person. Attach to the top of the cake. Wet the bottom edge of the feet with water and place on the top of the cake. Attach a small ball of paste behind each foot to help secure it.
- Wet the end of both of the dry Christmas trees with water and attach one to the top tier of the cake and one to the cake board. Using water attach 2 snowflakes to the top and bottom tiers. Cut 1 in half and secure half on the top of the top tier with water the other half to the cake board. Refer to photo.