Mermaid Tails & under The Sea Cake
Mermaid Tails & under The Sea Cake
November 27, 2017
Equipment You Will Need
- FMM Mermaid Tails Cutter Set
- FMM Under The Sea Large Tappit
- FMM Dab-A-Dust (If Required)
- FMM Knife & Scriber Tool
- NON Stick Mat & Non Stick Rolling Pin
- Lilac, Peach, Lemon, Green, & Pink Modelling Paste
- White Modelling Paste And White Flower Paste Mix
- Water & Paintbrush (Edible Glue If You Prefer)
- 2 Tier 6” X 5” And 8” X 5” Cake & 11” Cake Board Covered In Blue Fondant (Bottom Tier Marble Effect Optional) Edged With Pink Ribbon
- Edible Silver & Pearl Sugar Balls
- Pink, Lilac, Peach, Lemon & Green Edible Dust And Paintbrushes For Each Colour
- Rainbow Dust Hologram Glitter (Remember This Is Non-Edible)
- Clear Glaze Spray
- Rainbow Dust Edible Black Pen
- Royal Icing, Piping Bag, Number 1 Icing Nozzle & Lolly Stick
Hints & Tips
- Always read the project sheet in full before starting your cake!
- To make your own modelling paste, add a little tylo to your fondant.
- Allow the modelling paste shapes to sit and firm up for a short time before attaching to your cake.
- If your modelling paste is sticking to your tools or mat use your FMM Dab-a-Dust for dusting with cornflour or icing sugar.
To Make The Large Mermaid Tail
- Roll out the mix of white modelling paste and white flower paste. Cut out 1 large mermaid tail. Gently move the top of the tail with your hand to make the tail look as if it is flicking left or right. Place to one side for 24 hours to dry completely. (Prepare 24 hours in advance).
To Make The Small Mermaid Tails
- Roll out peach, lemon, lilac and pink modelling paste. Cut out two tails in each colour. Gently move the top of some of the tails to left and right to make them look like the are flicking from side to side and leave two upright. Sit to one side to dry for a few minutes.
To Make The Under The Sea Decorations
- Roll out peach, lemon, lilac and pink modelling paste. Cut out 3 fish, 1 Octopus, 2 sea horses, 2 starfish and 2 shells all in the different colours. Sit to one side to dry for a few minutes.
To Make The Green Reeds
- Roll out green modelling paste. Using the FMM Knife & Scriber tool cut out 8 thin strips. Gently twist each thin strip around a thin paint brush handle and slide off. The strips of paste will have a twisted look to them.
Assembling The Cake – Refer To Picture For Guidance
- Secure the small mermaid tails around the top tier cake with water or edible glue.
- Using water or edible glue attach the under the sea decorations to the bottom tier of the cake. Attach the reeds too.
- Pipe a very thin line of royal icing between each of the small mermaid tails. Attach pearl sugar balls. Secure the silver sugar balls as eyes in the under the sea decorations with royal icing.
- Once the large mermaid tail is completely dry it can be dusted to add the colours. The top of the tail is dusted green. From the bottom of the tail working up dust pink, lilac, peach and lemon. Gently wave the tail over steam to set and blend the colours. Be very careful not to burn yourself…steam is very hot! Once steamed and still a little damp sprinkle on some Rainbow Dust edible glitter. As the glitter cannot be eaten, set it on the tail with a clear spray glaze to prevent glitter from falling on top of the cake. Make sure the person eating the cake is aware that they cannot eat the tail. Ask them to sign a disclaimer. If this is a cake being made for personal use remove the large mermaid tail before serving. If you choose not to add glitter the tail will be edible.
- Attach the large mermaid tail to the top of the cake by securing to a lolly stick with royal icing to support it.
- Caution: Be very careful when steaming decorations - not to burn yourself.