Equipment You Will Need
- FMM Monkey Cutter
- FMM Happy Birthday
- FMM Gingerbread Person Set (Bows On Decorating Strips Only)
- FMM Dab-A-Dust (If Required)
- FMM Art Deco Uppercase Tappits
- FMM Veining Mats 5-8
- FMM Essential Shapes
- Non Stick Mat & Non Stick Rolling Pin
- Green Fondant
- Water & Paintbrush (Edible Glue If You Prefer)
- Friller Tool (Small And Large To Make A Mouth)
- 2 Tier 6” X 5” And 8” X 5” Cake & 11” Cake Board Covered In White Fondant Edged With Green Ribbon
- Edible Black Sugar Balls
- Pink Edible Dust And Paintbrush
- Rainbow Dust Edible Black Pen
- Royal Icing & Lolly Stick
- Craft Gun With Small Circle Disc
- Tape Measure
Hints & Tips
- Always read the project sheet in full before starting your cake!
- To make your own modelling paste, add a little tylo to your fondant.
- Allow the modelling paste shapes to sit and firm up for a short time before attaching to your cake.
- If your modelling paste is sticking to your tools or mat use your FMM Dab-a-Dust for dusting with cornflour or icing sugar.
To Make The Large Monkey
- Roll out brown modelling paste. Cut out 1 large monkey. Roll out cream modelling paste and cut 1 large monkey face. Create a face by attaching black sugar balls for eyes, emboss a nose with the FMM knife and scriber tool and the large frilling tool to emboss a smile. Use the large circle from the FMM Essential Shapes to cut out a tummy. Attach the face and tummy with water or edible glue and place to one side to dry. (Prepare 24 hours in advance).
To Make The Small Monkeys
- Roll out brown modelling paste. Cut out 9 small monkey’s. Roll out cream modelling paste and cut out 9 small monkey faces. Emboss a smile on the faces using the small frilling tool and emboss 2 small dots as a nose with the knife and scriber tool. Use the third largest circle from the FMM Essential Shapes to cut out 9 tummies. Attach the faces and tummies with water or edible glue to the small monkeys. Sit to one side to dry for a few minutes. The small monkey’s eyes will be drawn on once they are completely dry.
To Make The Happy Birthday Inscription
- Roll out green modelling paste. Using the FMM Happy Birthday Cutter cut out the Happy Birthday Inscription. Allow to dry a little.
To Make Vines
- Measure around the outside of the cake and divide by 5. Place a cocktail stick a small way in, at each point, all the way round. Knead a small amount of green fondant and place in the sugarcraft gun. Extrude the fondant from the gun through the disc. Drape the fondant string over the cocktail sticks, allowing it to loop between to make the vines. Secure the fondant with water.
To Make The Bows
- Roll out yellow modelling paste. Use the large decorating strip from the FMM Gingerbread Person set to cut out a bow and then use the small decorating strip to cut out 7 small bows. Attach the large bow to the large monkey with water or edible glue and repeat this for the small monkeys attaching them as a bow tie or on the monkeys head to look like a bow in the hair. Note there is not put a bow on all the monkey’s.
To Make The Inscription On The Board
- Roll out cream modelling paste and cut out the child’s age and the word ‘TODAY’ using the FMM Art Deco Upper Case Tappit.
Assembling The Cake
- Secure the Happy Birthday inscription to the front of the top tier cake, and the inscription for the board with water or edible glue.
- Using water or edible glue attach 2 of the small monkeys each side of the Happy Birthday inscription. Refer to the photograph.
- Attach the small monkeys to the fondant vines around the bottom tier of the cake. Have some fun by making them look as if they are swinging from their tail or their feet!
- Once the small monkey’s are completely dry use the black edible pen to draw 2 eyes on all the small monkeys.
- Attach the large monkey to the top of the cake by securing to a lolly stick with royal icing to support it.
- Finally give the monkey’s rosy cheeks with the pink edible dust using a dry brush.